About Live Healthy Michigan:
The philosophy of the Meijer State Games of Michigan is that everyone participates regardless of age or ability; everyone is welcome and everyone plays. The Live Healthy Michigan initiative has partnered with Subway to get the residents of Michigan moving in the right direction by offering nutritional tips and expert advice.
Please visit the following Subway links to learn more information:
Expert Advice - Nutrition tips are shared by Subway experts on how to eat and live healthier in a clear & instructive format.
Sport Nutrition for Kids
Whether you are running, swimming, skating or competing in another sport, the foods you eat and what you drink can help you perform better.
Water - essential to keep you hydrated before, during and after exercise
Carbohydrates - supply the body with glucose (blood sugar) for energy
Cup of Yogurt - a good snack to eat within 30 minutes after your workout
Protein - needed for your body to build and repair muscles
1/2 bagel with peanut butter - sample snack to eat 2-3 hours before exercise
Remember: Athletes need more food and fluids than non-athletes. Regular meals and healthy
snacks will help fuel your body before and after exercise. It is important to give your body
enough of the right fuel in order to feel good and have the energy you need to be the best
athlete you can be.
Eating Before Exercise
Consume a carbohydrate-rich snack or meal before exercise to top off muscle stores. With pre-competition jitters, liquid meal replacements may be a better choice than whole foods.
• Include small amounts of protein in your pre-exercise meal(s). Protein helps build and repair muscle tissue. Adequate protein before exercise may help reduce post-exercise muscle soreness.
• Choose pre-exercise meal(s) that are low in fat and fiber to ensure optimal digestion.
• Pre-exercise Foods & Fluids
3–4 Hours Before Exercise
• Peanut butter & honey on toast + instant breakfast drink
• Fruit and yogurt smoothie + low-fat granola
• Oatmeal with brown sugar and almonds + skim milk + banana
• Low-fat cottage cheese + apple butter + crackers + fresh grapes
• Lean hamburger on bun with lettuce & tomato + side salad +
• yogurt-fruit parfait
• Turkey and Swiss sandwich + fruit + sports drink
• Low-fat tuna melt sandwich + fruit cup + fat-free yogurt
30–60 Minutes Before Exercise
• Sports drink or water
• Sports gel, sport beans or gummies, sports bar
• Piece of fruit or jam sandwich
Fuel For Your Workout - Provided by Meijer
The information below will help you sort fact from fiction!